Los Angeles, CA asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Business Law for California

Q: Stolen goods ?

‏I had consignment agreement for a watch with store in los Angeles ( with exactly price of sale )

‏the store sold to different watch dealer

Without my permission and for lower amount of what we agreed and took the money to his pocket.

I want to the police and declare the watch as stolen

Question is

Can the police go and get my watch from

The dealer that bought it ? (Let’s say he bought it in good faith)

Or what’s my legal options to get my watch back ?

2 Lawyer Answers
Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Los Altos, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Why do you want the police involved? Is this not just a breach of contract claim? IF it happened to me and I was NOT an attorney I'd hire one to write a demand letter for the $$$ not paid to you. IF that amount is less than $10,000.00 you likely end up in small claims court if no payment is made.

Leon Bayer and Yelena Gurevich agree with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the watch was sold by the store to a different dealer without your consent and at a lower amount, you may have a legal claim against the store for breach of the consignment agreement and potentially conversion. The police may investigate if there is evidence of theft or fraud, but civil remedies, such as pursuing a lawsuit for damages or return of the watch, may be more appropriate in this situation. Consult with legal counsel to assess the specific facts and explore your legal options.

James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.