Woodland Hills, CA asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Banking for California

Q: Can I get a reverse mortgage from a bank in Georgia on real property in State of California??

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Yes, it's generally possible to get a reverse mortgage from a bank in Georgia for real property located in California. Reverse mortgages are federally insured loans, and they are not limited to being offered by banks in the state where the property is located. However, the specific terms, requirements, and eligibility criteria for reverse mortgages can vary between lenders and states. It's important to research and consult with a financial advisor or mortgage specialist to understand the details of obtaining a reverse mortgage for a property in California while residing in Georgia.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: While reverse mortgages are generally available across states, they involve specific regulations and considerations that vary. It's essential to work with a qualified attorney to navigate the legal and financial aspects of obtaining a reverse mortgage on California real property from a bank in Georgia, ensuring compliance with both states' laws.


James L. Arrasmith

Founding Attorney and Chief Lawyer

The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.