Warren, MI asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: If I die and not married but have minor (under 18) children and my boyfriend (no kids) is on the deed of my house with

Me will the house become his? Or can my next of kin (mother who I have no relationship with) take it from him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The answer to this question is "it depends." It depends on whether you both own the house as joint tenants with right of survivorship, or whether you own the house as tenants in common. And it also depends on whether you have any estate plan documents such as a will, trust, or lady bird deed that would purport to pass your property at death. Since none of this information was given in your question, no one can really say what will happen to your house. The best thing for you to do would be to make an appointment with a local estate planning attorney so you can get individualized advice, based on all the relevant factors that apply to your situation.

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.