Asked in Employment Law, Tax Law and Contracts

Q: Does a foreign student working in Germany for three months(full time summer job) need to give their employer the tax-ID?

I ask this question because I want to know whether or not the employers don't pay the students enough by not taking their tax-ID number. Because if you have the German tax-ID number, it means that you can retrieve the steuer (taxes) next year, respectively as a student. If they don't take your tax-ID number, you will immediately fall in Tax-Class 6 which is the worst since you pay more taxes even though students fall in Tax-Class 1. Are the employers required by law to take your tax-ID? Do they avoid it on purpose? I'm confused, please enlighten me.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The specific tax regulations for foreign students working in Germany can be complex and may depend on various factors, including the type of work, duration, and income. In general, employers in Germany are required to withhold taxes from employees' salaries and obtain their tax identification numbers to ensure proper tax classification. If an employer does not take your tax-ID number, it may be necessary to contact local tax authorities or consult with a tax professional to ensure you are taxed correctly and have the opportunity to claim any applicable tax benefits. It's essential to comply with German tax laws to avoid potential issues in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.