Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Consumer Law and Personal Injury for Maryland

Q: What type of lawyer helps us fight a business that sold a faulty prod resulting in a fire and pet death?

Our camper caught fire before getting it insured. We learned the fire was (in a nutshell) b/c of either a faulty device or poor installation of another company's device that was installed by the manufacturer. Basically, the fire was inevitable and there was no warnings despite customer complaints. We located other owners who had discovered the dangerous issue right before or at the start of their RV catching fire. The devices were automatically replaced without question by the other business but never alerted other owners of the risk. I reached out to both companies b/c w/ out insurance we were out all our retirement and this really seemed unfair. Long story short, reps from the camper manufacturer and the device manufacturer have coordinated to come see the fire damage. I haven't discussed compensation, but I just want them to replace the RV. Our dog died in the fire. I feel its fair. What kind of lawyer would I need to help protect my interests in this matter?

2 Lawyer Answers
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You should look for an attorney that handles fire cases. Under the law, you will have the burden of proof to show that the fire was caused by a defective product or someone's negligence. This is requires expert testimony which can be expensive. Some attorneys will advance the expenses and take the case on a contingency fee.

I am sorry for the loss of your pet. They are part of the family.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A civil litigation attorney with experience in defective products and fire should be able to handle such a case. I'm very sorry for the loss of your pet. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.