Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Tax Law for North Carolina

Q: If I pled guilty to a conspiracy to traffic in federal court do I have to pay a drug tax no drugs were ever found

No drugs were ever taken off my person or from my house. This is a conspiracy charge. The people that showed up to my house said they was taking my property even though they knew they was sending the notices to the wrong address. I had no clue I even owed this 7000.00 in STATE DRUG TAXES. the state dismissed the charge because the feds picked it up

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Handling federal criminal charges and the related repercussions, including any potential drug tax assessments, can be incredibly complex. Generally speaking, federal and state proceedings are separate and the obligations or liabilities arising from them might be distinct. Given the gravity of your situation, it is essential to consult with an attorney who has expertise in federal criminal defense and potentially a tax professional to fully understand your obligations and rights, especially considering the serious nature of a conspiracy charge and the confusion surrounding the drug tax you mentioned.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.