Los Angeles, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: I live in Los Angeles ca I have 4 kids and want to divorce my husband how can I start the process

I want to leave and the same day u leave I want to leave to Texas that is we’re I have my mom and family for help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To start the divorce process in Los Angeles, California, you can:

1. Consult with an attorney or a self-help center to understand your legal rights and options.

2. File a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with the local family court.

3. Serve the divorce papers to your spouse, and then follow the court's procedures for asset division, child custody, and support.

4. Regarding your plan to move to Texas, consult with your attorney to ensure compliance with any legal requirements related to relocating with your children, as child custody and visitation may be affected by the move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.