Fort Worth, TX asked in Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: Can I sue my ex-wife for defamation of character?

I received a message from a mutual friend who it’s a screenshot of her telling him she was glad to get out of an “abusive relationship”. I have previously had other people, namely fellow church members, ask things like why did I hit her, etc.

None of this is true. My daughter (16 years old) has even said she would testify to a judge that the opposite is true.

I have lost a lot of friends and my church over this garbage. Most of it was spread while I was out of the state and could not defend myself.

I do not know how this could affect me in the future, but, it is a serious (false) accusation. Mostly, I would want her to recant her statement, and perhaps regain some of my reputation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes. If you can prove that your ex made a false statement of fact about you which disparages your reputation and was believed by others causing you to lose some amount of money that can be calculated with reasonable certainty, you could prevail on a claim for libel or slander.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.