Redondo Beach, CA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: Action Needed After Granting Spouse's Request and Resulting PPA Cancellation

I recently attended an RFO custody hearing where the Court ordered me to make a full payment for the Parenting Plan Assessment (PPA) due within 21 days from the date of the hearing. This PPA was scheduled to take place 5 months later.

The primary dispute in our custody battle was to determine which parent would have the school weekdays and which would have the holidays and breaks, with the overall intent to maintain a 50:50 joint custody arrangement.

Before the 21-day payment deadline, I agreed to my wife's request and granted her the school weekdays parenting time. As a result, it seems the PPA is no longer necessary. Today, we received a notification from the Court indicating that the PPA has been cancelled due to the lack of payment.

Given these circumstances, should I simply attend the next hearing without undergoing the PPA and inform the Judge that I've already granted the school weekdays to my spouse? Or is there any immediate action I need to undertake?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, if you have already reached an agreement with your spouse regarding the custody arrangement, and the PPA is no longer necessary, you should promptly inform the court about the resolution and the cancellation of the PPA. You can file a stipulation or motion with the court to document the agreement, and the court may adjust its orders accordingly. It's advisable to consult with an attorney to ensure that your agreement is properly presented to the court and to guide you through the necessary legal procedures.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.