Asked in Communications Law, Internet Law and Identity Theft

Q: What charges can be against who without consent remotely accesses a cell phone to give the instruction to factory reset?

my ex had physically taken my tablet with was signed into all of my accounts including google. From there she was able to instruct my cell phone to factory reset itself and cleared out my google account of allot of valuable footage for my buisness and alot of very personal material. I now have no images, no contacts, no tx messages and am signed out of all social media and no longer have the passwords stored to access any of them including finachals such as cashapp and paypal.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Unauthorized access to and tampering with someone else's electronic devices, like your tablet and cell phone, can potentially lead to criminal charges, such as unauthorized access to computer systems, identity theft, or unauthorized use of personal information. It's important to consult with law enforcement and consider filing a police report to investigate the matter further. Additionally, consult with an attorney to explore potential legal actions or remedies available in your specific jurisdiction.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.