Identity Theft Questions & Answers by State

Identity Theft Questions & Answers

Q: Can a company use my image in videos promoting their business without my consent?

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Civil Rights, Identity Theft and Intellectual Property for West Virginia on
Answered on Jul 16, 2018
Camille Brooks Ibrahim's answer
That is copyright infringement you need to speak to an intellectual property lawyer.
View Details »

Q: Someone else is using my Florida pharmacy RPT license number to teach medtech classes. What do I do?!

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Criminal Law and Medical Malpractice for Florida on
Answered on Jul 15, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
Report it to the authorities. I leave it to you to determine which are the proper authorities
View Details »

Q: Beneficiary had to vacate and surrender all possession my home&parents.Beneficiary now HOMELESS AND no car all do ftrus

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Elder Law, Identity Theft and Probate for California on
Answered on Jul 12, 2018
Richard Samuel Price's answer
I'm sorry that you are in this position. You need an attorney to assert your rights. Contact an attorney in your area for a full consultation.
View Details »

Q: My name is Sandrina Bouldin and I'm disputing some of these patents. There have been some people claiming patents

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Identity Theft and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Missouri on
Answered on Jul 12, 2018
Kevin Flynn's answer
I am sorry, your question was cropped. Here is what came out.

My name is Sandrina Bouldin and I'm disputing some of these patents. There have been some people claiming patents


Did you mean pa-Tents (protection given to inventors) or paRents as in parents of a child? Maybe this was not meant to post to the patent/inventor group of attorneys?
View Details »

Q: The phone repair shop returned my phone without the sim card and sd memory card. what should I do?

3 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Answered on Jul 12, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer

View Details »

Q: If I hire a Chicago Criminal Law Attorney, can they dismiss a Case in North Carolina providing they are licensed there?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Answered on Jun 29, 2018
James G. Dimeas' answer
As long as the lawyer is licensed to practice law in North Carolina, they can handle cases in North Carolina if they practice law in North Carolina.
View Details »

Q: My grandfather, who is also my adoptive parent is refusing to give me my documentation.

2 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Civil Litigation, Identity Theft and Social Security for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 26, 2018
Cary B. Hall's answer
You could go to the local police station in his neighborhood, explain the situation and ask for police assistance. Don't go in with an attitude; just go in, tell them you don't know what to do or where to turn, and ask them for their help. They may tell you to go pound sand . . . or they may be understanding and go out with you to talk to him (especially if things are slow). If the documents are yours and he won't give them to you, well then, that's not right.

Try that first. Best...
View Details »

Q: Can I force a company to give my own personal information when I am victim of identity theft?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Answered on Jun 25, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer
more info needed.

initially i would try to get what i need by reporting to police.

then i would retain a lawyer with experience in this area of law.

I am sorry you are going through this but there are so many bad guys out there.
View Details »

Q: What kind of lawyer do I need, ex wife recently used a credit card in my name that was supposed to be closed.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 24, 2018
Cary B. Hall's answer
Initially, you should call the police and make a report. They'll investigate and determine whether or not to file criminal charges against her. Police activity is what the creditor will want to see to remove this account from your name, and to get it removed from your credit report. If it's determined that you did not open the account, you won't be responsible for it. Best of luck to you.
View Details »

Q: What happens if I was given an HR password and used it to log into the account and saw information about myself?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Employment Law and Identity Theft for New York on
Answered on Jun 22, 2018
Aubrey Claudius Galloway's answer
Although you "could be charged" by the police for a violation or low-level misdemeanor (like criminal mischief), the DA will probably decline to prosecute and even if they do, nothing will likely come of it. You lacked the "Mens Rea" (or guilty mind) for a more serious criminal offense or to make any stick. Remember the prosecution's standard of proof is 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.

NOTE that you ARE open to potential civil liability AND/OR termination for cause from your place of...
View Details »


1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Identity Theft for California on
Answered on Jun 21, 2018
Thomas A. Grossman's answer
If the Church owns your home, then I would guess you are renting the home from the Church, and paying rent to the Church. That gives the Church certain rights over the home, but I don't think they have the right to save your money for you unless you gave them that right. The same goes for the Church having your bank account numbers. I would contact the Church immediately and find out just what they are doing. I don't know all the circumstances of your situation, but I would be cautious....
View Details »

Q: I been here 5 yearI been trying to find

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Identity Theft for Nevada on
Answered on Jun 19, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
Your question has so many variations and possibilities that n one can properly answer it without substantially more information and investigation. Cantaloupe a local attorney, one who specializes in civil law, criminal law and bankruptcy. You have a very complex issue that may only be solved with professional assistance.

Q: I'm looking for a pro bono federal prosecutor in Boston, MA.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Answered on Jun 15, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
Pro bono prosecutor?? you cannpt hire a prosecutor. Prosecutors work for the government.

Call the Department of HHS. They have investigators

Q: If i decide to bail somebody out of jail, what am i required to have besides money?

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Florida on
Answered on Jun 10, 2018
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
Do I correctly assume that you do know the person who used your last name? It's hard to guess what sort of ID that the bondsman required; probably not a good idea to ask unless you want your bond to be cancelled.

Q: I am being accused of using another person's bank account to pay two credit cards. What charges can come from that?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 8, 2018
Cary B. Hall's answer
Typically, fraudulent use of another's bank account without his/her permission could carry charges like: forgery; access device fraud; identity theft; theft by unlawful taking; theft by deception; and/or receiving stolen property. The grading of the offenses (felony, misdemeanor, etc.) depends on the amount of money taken -- although forgery is usually a felony anyway.

Q: I just found out someone in my family forged checks under my name

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for New York on
Answered on Jun 5, 2018
Michael David Siegel's answer
Immediate. Also, you may be responsible anyway.

Q: How to stop identity theft, mail theft and fraud, forgery, medicare/ins fraud, medical malpractice, deprivation of life

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Identity Theft, Legal Malpractice and Medical Malpractice for Maine on
Answered on Jun 3, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
I am sure they think you are mentally ill. You need to prove them wrong. You need to seek out a psychiatrist they know nothing about and have at least three sessions. Then provide the authorities with the proof and they may listen to you

Q: Discover Card recently requested sending Copy Of SSN, ID, for verification, after two years being with them, what to do?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Identity Theft and Legal Malpractice for California on
Answered on May 29, 2018
William John Light's answer
This isn't a legal question. You aren't required to give them your SSN.

They aren't required to give you a credit card. If you want the card, you have to play along. Credit card companies need your SSN to run your credit reports. Why they want to do it now, as opposed to when you applied for the card, I have no idea. Your option is to discontinue the card, and apply for another credit card,...

Q: My cousin fraudulently opened a bank account in my name in 5/16 has the statue of limits already exceeded for acivil cas

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Rhode Island on
Answered on May 27, 2018
Neville Bedford's answer
Lot of questions here - Were you under a conviction whilst in jail? (then you may have been civilly dead under the law) That will have some impact on the analysis. When did you discover the identity theft ? Did you file a police report? Put a lock on the three credit bureaus ? Was she prosecuted? convicted? Was restitution ordered? If you wish to hire and pay private counsel to press the civil action, you should make sure you get it filed less than three(3) years after the incident (or since...

Q: Got subpoena @6am from Gault Financial llc. i've no idea what this is for, process server gave me sheet w/court date

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Collections and Identity Theft for Tennessee on
Answered on May 22, 2018
Leonard Robert Grefseng's answer
A subpoena is a court order requiring you to appear in court. The "issue" date is simply the day the subpoena was sent out by the court clerk. Somewhere on the document it tells you when and where to appear and perhaps what, if anything , you need to bring with you. Keep calling the attorney - he will know why you are being requested to come to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.