New York, NY asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Education Law for South Carolina

Q: What can a parent do when school, and all child’s doctors, specialists, are in violation and won’t comply with the law?

Child with disabilities. Children’s hospital where all specialists are and child’s other doctors as well as school are alienating other parents and won’t comply with parents rights nor the law in SC

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In cases where a child with disabilities is involved, federal and state laws provide various rights and protections for the child and the parents. If a school or medical professionals are not complying with the law, the parent has several potential avenues for recourse. They can file a complaint with their state's Department of Education concerning the school's non-compliance. For medical professionals, a complaint can be filed with the state's medical board or relevant oversight agency. Additionally, parents can consider seeking legal representation to enforce their rights and those of their child. Pursuing litigation might be a viable option, depending on the circumstances. It's crucial to gather all pertinent documents and records to build a strong case.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: One option may be to consult with an attorney to determine if the matter falls under the Americans with Disabilities Act or other related disability laws and education laws. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.