Phoenix, AZ asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Probate for Arizona

Q: Quiet title.

My wife is one of four sisters on a family trust. We bought property from her parents through the trust. We paid on it for 5years. I started college in 2008. Her parents had us over for dinner and told us they didn't want us to make anymore payments while I was in college. Then 3years later they repossessed it. When we asked them to let us start paying again they said it was silly for us to pay on her inheritance. Her dad passed several years ago. And at that time we talked to her mom to make sure everything was the same. She had told us several times the property was my wife's inheritance. Her mom passed last month and we are now told her mom made no mention about it in her will, and that we have to sell it to split it four ways.

We. Have made improvements to the property. Do we have a case to file a quiet title? We have lived on this property continuously from 2003 to 2023.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Partition Sale is probably the only remedy here. Asking for contribution will most likely be denied.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.