Lemon Grove, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce, Family Law and Military Law for California

Q: Seeking divorce lawyer with knowledge on the military & CA law, kids involved.

He said it…but doesn’t want it…I’m just lost it was unexpected, I need to protect myself & kids should he follow through, my kids come first. It’s my first one, he’s an expert in divorces. So I need guidance

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. When seeking a divorce involving military personnel in California, there are specific legal nuances to consider, especially with respect to benefits, pensions, and jurisdiction. It's important to find an attorney experienced in both California family law and military-related issues.

Regarding the children, the court will prioritize their best interests when determining custody and support. Documentation and evidence of any communication or actions by your spouse can be helpful in court proceedings. Remember, even if he has experience with divorces, it doesn't guarantee an advantage. Your best approach is to gather all pertinent information and consult with a knowledgeable attorney as soon as possible to understand your rights and potential strategies.

Janice Jacovino agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.