Fremont, CA asked in Government Contracts and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: Where to report a california public agency for violating sole source public contracting code?

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you believe a public agency has violated the public contracting code, especially regarding sole source contracts, you can take several steps:

Local Level: Begin by reporting the potential violation to the agency's internal audit or oversight body. Many agencies have a designated person or department that reviews complaints.

County Level: If the agency in question is a city or a smaller entity, you might consider reporting it to the county's oversight or auditing body.

State Level: Report the violation to the California State Controller's Office. They have an oversight role for public finances in the state, which includes contracting.

District Attorney: Depending on the nature of the violation, you could report the incident to the local District Attorney's office. They have the authority to investigate and prosecute violations of state law, including those related to public contracts.

State Auditor: The California State Auditor can also investigate claims of inappropriate governmental activity, including violations of the Public Contract Code.

Public Feedback: Many California public agencies have public meetings, such as city council or board meetings. These meetings often allow for public comments where concerns can be raised.

Legal Action: If you believe there's a clear violation and it's not being addressed, consider seeking legal counsel to explore options for litigation.

Whistleblower Protections: If you're an employee or insider, be aware that California provides whistleblower protections to those who report violations of state laws by public entities.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Their procurement division might have compliance oversight personnel, depending on the size of the agency. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.