Dallas, TX asked in Immigration Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: My Brothers Sentencing trial just got cancelled for the third time is there anything that can be done?

He was arrested for Re-Entry so its federal but has been arrested for about 8-months maybe more and hes had hearings but his sentencing keeps getting moved or cancelled.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In federal cases, repeated delays can be frustrating for defendants and their families. If your brother's sentencing hearing has been postponed multiple times, there may be various reasons, including court scheduling conflicts, unavailability of key participants, or new developments in the case. To address this, you might consider:

1. Consulting with your brother's attorney about the reasons for the delays and potential strategies.

2. Ensuring open communication with the court to understand any new dates or expectations.

3. Filing a motion to request timely sentencing, referencing your brother's right to a speedy trial.

4. Discussing any potential plea deals or agreements that might expedite the process.

5. Reviewing the status of any presentence report that might be causing delays.

6. Monitoring any changes in immigration policies or federal guidelines that could affect the case's progression.

7. Being proactive and staying informed will be key to navigating this process effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.