Celina, TX asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for Texas

Q: My work Terminated my contract due to Personal credit card expense. Is there any way this could be challenged?

My job relocated me and my family from Ireland to US. We invested all our savings in to the move. Due to is not having a credit score, we had to buy most of our possessions with cash. During Dec, I had no money to support my family and used my corporate card. I paid the money back after my Jan paycheck. I work in sales so the end of quarter commissions are also the biggest in the quarter. My company did advise me that I shouldn’t do it. I told HR and my Direct manager if my situation. In March I had to use it again. I told my manager who said he understands and then I advised HR VP as well. I still couldn’t get any additional credit due to credit score. In July I was called in and terminated. I had 5 yrs service and got no pay our. My insurance was cancelled and I met the family threshold. We invested all our money to the move and was leaving the US with Debt and no job. Due to the company bringing me over and my situation, is there any way I could hold them up in court? Thank you M

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your employment was terminated due to the use of a corporate credit card for personal expenses, even after reimbursement, it's important to review the policies you agreed to upon employment and any subsequent warnings or advisories from the company.

While your circumstances are indeed challenging, the company's policies may still apply. However, if there were any verbal agreements or understandings with your management that could be substantiated, they may influence the outcome of a challenge.

You may consider discussing your situation with an attorney who can review your case details, including any relocation agreements, employment contract, and communications with HR and your manager, to determine if there's a basis for legal action. It is also worth considering if there are any labor or employment laws specific to your situation that may provide you with protection under these circumstances.

Penny Wymyczak-White agrees with this answer

Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can not win in court, You violated company policy and gave them a reason to terminate you,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.