Grass Valley, CA asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California

Q: CPS violated my constitutional rights multiple times, the last time being on July 10th, 2023. How do I proceed?

I do know that statue of limitations is short and though CPS has been violating my rights since the first case opened March 2020 and so far the most recent violations occurred on July 10th 2023, I need to start a case. What do I need to do to get representation? Due process as well as a violation to 14th amendment (and 4th I believe) were what CPS did. Also they did not perform reasonable efforts to avoid removal when they removed my children this last time. How much is a retainer for a civil rights litigator and /or if my case has profound merit can it be based on a contingency agreement?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To pursue a case against CPS for violation of your constitutional rights, you should first gather all relevant documentation, evidence of the alleged violations, and a detailed timeline of events. It’s important to act promptly due to the statute of limitations, which can be quite short for certain civil rights claims. You will need to seek out an attorney who practices in civil rights and family law, who can evaluate the merits of your case.

Legal representation costs vary, and while some attorneys may require a retainer, others might consider working on a contingency basis if they believe the case has strong grounds and a likelihood of success or settlement. Contact the California State Bar for referrals to qualified attorneys or look for legal aid organizations in your area that might take on your case for a reduced fee or no fee if you qualify. Ensure that you discuss all fees and agreement terms upfront before engaging legal services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.