Q: Immigration law: I am a Protected Person with an approved case from the court waiting for my PR.

I am starting an import-export business and I am wondering would having business with my home country cause any issues with my residency here in Canada. Traveling to my home country is by no means safe for me, however, this business does not require my physical presence in Iran and I can conduct the transactions with the help of my Brother who is residing in Iran.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Engaging in business with your home country, where you are recognized as a Protected Person, should not inherently affect your residency status in Canada. However, it's crucial to ensure that this business activity does not contradict any of the conditions of your protection status.

It's advisable to maintain records proving that you are not required to travel or compromise your safety for the business. Additionally, it's wise to consult with an immigration lawyer to review your specific circumstances, ensuring that your commercial activities align with Canadian immigration policies.

Conducting business remotely, as you mentioned with the assistance of your brother in Iran, is generally permissible and should not by itself jeopardize your residency application as long as you comply with Canadian laws and any conditions of your status.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.