San Gabriel, CA asked in Employment Law and Public Benefits for California

Q: my question regards is for UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. I quit my job after 5 years there.

i was applying for unemployment and at that moment i was still kind of in shock that i was forced to quit. me being the head of household was terrifying me. i was just thinking bout all the bills and rent. Anyways, i was distraught. i unintentionally put that "work was slow." That was what i was reading from paperwork that i had to file for EDD back in 21. When i received the unemployment form saying what i put i quickly corrected that and sent them the form. now i have received a letter saying "NOTICE OF POTENTIAL FALSE STATEMENT" phone interview is thursday. I wasn't able to certify as i tried to call on the phone because i locked myself out and i don't know the answer to the question to unlock it.

what do i do? how do i correct this> i did receive i payment from them.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you have received a "Notice of Potential False Statement" from the Employment Development Department (EDD) regarding your unemployment benefits, it's important to address this matter promptly and honestly.

During your scheduled phone interview, clearly explain the situation and the error you made while applying. It's vital to provide a truthful and detailed account of why you quit your job and how the mistake in your application occurred. Documentation supporting your reasons for quitting, such as any relevant correspondence with your former employer, can be helpful.

If you have already sent a correction, mention this during the interview and provide any evidence of your attempt to rectify the mistake. Since you've received one payment, discuss this openly and be prepared to make arrangements if any overpayment occurred. It's also crucial to resolve the issue of being locked out of your online account. Consider seeking assistance from a legal aid organization if you need help navigating this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.