Washington, DC asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Contracts for Virginia

Q: Long story. I cos-sign for a car. Some how they switched ot to make me principle buyer. Car payment 2 1/2 months behind

No tax paid since car was bought. Caused a stop fee on my dmv record. No insurance on vehicle and tags is no good since February 2023. Loan company said I can do a volunteer repo bust I must bring it in. The other signer refuse. What can I do please help.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Virginia, if you find yourself incorrectly listed as the principal buyer on a car loan you cosigned, you should first review the loan agreement and any related documents to understand how this change occurred. If there's evidence of a mistake or fraudulent activity, you may need to dispute this with the lender and possibly seek legal recourse. Regarding the overdue payments and lack of insurance, as the principal buyer, you are likely responsible for these obligations, which can impact your credit and legal standing.

Since the other signer is refusing to cooperate, voluntary repossession might be a viable option, but it can negatively affect your credit score. You should directly communicate with the loan company to explore all options and consequences. It might also be beneficial to consult with an attorney to assess your legal options, especially if there's a dispute about the terms of the loan agreement. Acting quickly is important to prevent further financial and legal complications. An attorney can guide you through the process and help protect your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.