San Jose, CA asked in Divorce, Real Estate Law and Family Law for Virginia

Q: Who can assist me with a quitclaim deed document?

I’m getting an uncontested divorce and under the terms of our agreement, refinance is scheduled to occur in a timeframe not to exceed 4 yrs. The loan is joint and so is the title. We have decided, I will stay in the house; can I change the title to my name via a quitclaim deed? Is it straight forward? Is there any thing else I can do in the near term to protect myself from future title claims? Additionally, I’m assuming full responsibility of the loan payments, maintenance and other home costs per the PSA.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dominic Paul Lascara
Dominic Paul Lascara
  • Chesapeake, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Any attorney that practices in the area of real estate should be able to assist you. I have drafted many deeds being executed pursuant to a divorce or a settlement agreement. However, when both parties are on the title to the property, I have never used a "Quitclaim" deed, but instead I use a Deed of Bargain and Sale and when drafted pursuant to the divorce or settlement agreement the recording fees are exempt pursuant to Virginia Code Section 58.1-811.A.15. I don't like using a Quitclaim deed because basically the party conveying the property does so without any warranty of title. It's like saying "I don't know if I have any interest in this property, but whatever interest I have I give to you, but without any warranty. With a married couple who are both on title, they know that they both own the property. Feel free to call my office if you have any questions or need assistance with drafting the Deed. Dominic Lascara; 757-410-8355;

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.