Louisville, KY asked in Civil Rights, Employment Law and Landlord - Tenant for Kentucky

Q: I live and previously worked for hotel 8 months can they just fire me and call police and make me leave without eviction

I have worked as on site maintenance at woodspring suites hotel for 8 months , they refused to pay me any overtime, will not pay me for on call time , which I have been on call every other day from clock out till 8 am next morning and not allowed to leave the property during this time. I have now been fired and told I must vacate my living area immediately or the police will b called ..living here was a requirement for the job ...they kept exactly half my last paycheck for no reason and I'm not thinking they can tell me to leave immediately. Don't they have to legally evict me ?? If they would pay me what I'm owed I could afford to leave... otherwise I'd b sleeping in my car tonight

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You need to file a complaint with the Kentucky Labor Board regarding all the monies owed to you. As far as the eviction, it appears you may have some defenses. Check with your local legal aid society regarding possible pro bono or reduced fee representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.