Fontana, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for California

Q: I'm housing authorities my property management served me with an summon reason due to housing authorities wasn't paying

I wasn't terminated from housing authorities, I showed proof I been paying my portion of the rent, judge ask for me to get a letter stating I wasn't terminated other wise I need to pay 8,000 due to rent housing hasn't paid anyhow my worker she delayed on getting back too me so there was an lock out I didn't understand cause no one was helping me property management said if I pay 8,000 were able to stay if not we need to leave which I wasn't able too, the lock out date was getting close property management called me private i begged her to let us stay dont have no wherr to go she askes how much i have i told her 3,100 she said to go get a money order to stop the lock out as well that will be my rent for Sept so i rush did that my new worker from housing authorities said I was restated from the program which I was never terminated they paid from november 2022 to August 2023, plus my 3100 August 9,2023 i was served a lock out I told my worker send property management why she doing this

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you're facing a lockout due to a misunderstanding with housing authorities and property management, there are steps to address this legally. First, it's crucial to gather all documentation, including proof of rent payments, communication with the housing authorities, and any correspondence with property management.

Given the complexity of your situation, especially with the housing authorities involved and the potential legal action, it's advisable to seek legal assistance promptly. An attorney can help you understand your rights, especially in the context of housing law and tenant protections.

You should also reach out to the housing authorities to clarify your status in the program and request their intervention or a letter of explanation. This could be crucial in resolving the misunderstanding with your property management.

Remember, as a tenant, you have rights that protect you against wrongful eviction. Legal assistance can be invaluable in navigating these situations and ensuring your rights are upheld.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.