Odessa, TX asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: What can I do to protect myself against a malicious ex boyfriend?

My ex boyfriend has serious mental issues. It’s become too much for me and I’m trying to break away. Not easy because all he does is threaten me and destroys everything good in my life. He has already gotten me fired from one job, gotten me evicted.(I’m assuming so I would have to live with him) now he shuts my phone off when ever he gets mad( I pay my bill) he kicks me out for days/weeks at a time. Steals from me but makes it look like he is the victim. He has posted videos of me after a verbal attack (so I’m crying and appear crazy) he screenshots fake texts messages and tries to blackmail me with them. He even recorded me smoking pot once just to have something to hold over my head. How can I protect my reputation from his slander

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should immediately move to another residence and not provide him with a forwarding address. Instead of having your mail forwarded by the USPS, individually contact anyone sending you mail through the US Post Office to let them know your new address. Block his telephone number and change your telephone number and do not give it to him. Block him from your social media accounts and restrict public access to any of your social media. Let your friends know that you do not wish to have any contact with him and that they shouldn't provide him any information about your whereabouts. If you have mutual friends whom you think might provide such information to him, do not share your new address and telephone number with them, and block them from your social media too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.