Columbus, OH asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: Can a no contact order be issued as a judgement entry, and how long is it in effect?

In 2020 I was served with a no contact order that was entered into a case that I was not apart of and there was no hearing on the matter. As part of a CPS case against my wife for neglect of my stepdaughters, that has since been closed the judge made a judgment entry in the case of no contact but it doesn’t look like any protection order can find on state websites. The judgment entry has no end date, is this legal and if so how long are no contact order in place? since it appears normal protection order rules do not apply.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Ohio, a no contact order can indeed be issued as part of a judgment entry, especially in cases related to family law or child protection matters. Such orders are generally issued to safeguard the welfare of those involved, particularly minors.

Regarding the duration of the no contact order, it varies depending on the specifics of the case. If the order does not specify an end date, it could potentially remain in effect until it's modified or rescinded by a court. This is unlike typical protection orders that often have clear expiration dates.

Given your situation, where you were served with a no contact order without a hearing and as part of a case in which you weren't directly involved, it's crucial to seek legal advice. A lawyer can review the details of the judgment entry and advise on the best course of action, which might include filing a motion to modify or dissolve the no contact order, especially if the circumstances that led to its issuance have changed or resolved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.