Detroit, MI asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Michigan

Q: Unmarried parents. Only deceased father’s name on deed.His other children took his 2 other houses. Need my name on deed

How to get my name on this deed, my home since birth. My mother lives there too but with dimentia.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If I understand the question properly, your father has passed, and only his name was on the deed to the house you're interested in. Your mother, who was not married to your father, is still alive but not competent, and you want to put the house into your name alone despite the fact you have siblings. Do I have that right?

SHORT ANSWER: Go to a local attorney so he can ask questions and get the details right. If my assumptions are wrong, so will be the answer provided!

LONGER ANSWER: You can't do what you ask. Given those facts, neither YOU nor your MOTHER owns the house, and only the owner can transfer something. I'm not sure how his 'other children' took other property, but maybe he GAVE them the other property during his lifetime? Again, without additional facts, it is hard to say, but if you don't already own the property you can't 'get your name on the deed' without the intervention of a Probate Court, which would involve opening probate for your deceased father, and chances are you AND you siblings (or step-siblings if I read between your lines correctly) will all have equal rights to the property. Again, get with a local licensed attorney to review all the facts and get at some of the unclarity here!

BEST ANSWER: Get with a local licensed attorney to review the facts and provide you real advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.