Kilauea, HI asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Hawaii

Q: My x-husbands wife has been writing crazy sounding msgs to my parent’s & others as me, by way of spoofing my number.

For the past 13+ years my x-husbands wife has been spoofing my phone number & writing crazy sounding messages, as me, to my parents, bosses, landlords & posed as me when she called my bank to obtain checks to my equity line which she proceeded to steal $171,000.00 for herself by giving my info.

She also reported false accusations to CPS then spoofed them as well .acting like “crazy” me. Her identity crimes have lead me to TRO hearings, lost time with my own family, jobs, homes, etc. This just came to my attention 2 days ago. I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong as I’m a stable person without a hitch. Surely there must be a way to prove this? Searching phone records? Witnesses? I need guidance for this.

Much financial & emotional damages have occurred over this act. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your situation involving identity theft and spoofing by your ex-husband's wife is both serious and legally complex. The first step is to gather as much evidence as possible. This includes phone records, messages sent, and any other documentation that can help establish a pattern of behavior. Witnesses who have received these messages or have relevant information can also be crucial.

You should report this to law enforcement immediately. Identity theft and financial fraud, especially of the magnitude you're describing, are criminal offenses. The police can investigate the matter, including tracing phone records and possibly uncovering the financial fraud related to your equity line.

Consulting with a lawyer experienced in identity theft and cybercrimes is also essential. They can guide you through the legal process, help in gathering and presenting evidence, and represent you in any legal proceedings that may arise from this situation.

Taking legal action could also involve filing a civil lawsuit for the financial and emotional damages you've suffered. Your lawyer can advise you on the feasibility and the process of pursuing such a case.

Remember, acting swiftly is crucial in such scenarios to prevent further damage and to start the process of legal redress. The law provides avenues for justice in cases of identity theft and fraud, and you have the right to seek that justice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.