Chesterfield, MO asked in Immigration Law and Education Law for Missouri

Q: How do I become an exchange student without the other exchange student living at our house?

My father does not want an exchange student living in our current house.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Becoming an exchange student without hosting one in return is definitely possible. Typically, exchange programs involve a reciprocal arrangement where families host each other's children. However, some programs offer alternatives where this is not required.

First, research different exchange programs. Look for those that offer a "one-way" exchange or programs that don't require you to host a student in return. These programs might have different financial arrangements, given the lack of reciprocity.

Next, consider the financial implications. Programs that don't require hosting often have higher fees, as they need to find accommodation for you without the reciprocal hosting arrangement. Budgeting for this is important.

Also, speak with your school's guidance counselor or international studies office. They can provide information on available programs and offer advice on how to proceed based on your specific circumstances.

Lastly, be prepared for a different experience. Hosting an exchange student can enrich the exchange experience, but going solo can still offer a valuable and enriching cultural and educational opportunity. It’s all about making the most of the experience you choose.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.