Denver, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: Animal law or civil,? Colorado, please help me get Justice for my boy who was killed by HSPPR! Need info, please?

CO law says animals are personal property. Seized with warrant, then killed (for supposed seizures) day before hearing for release, no probable cause. 10 yr old licensed pet goat- my only family- destroyed. Motion for release of his remains, denied. Facing animal cruelty for his arthritis not being treated. (Yes, this is real.) Now, they are creaming his body, month later and charging me the cost. Like property, they should preserve him until end of case, when it's dismissed, or not guilty result? How can they play God? I want him back, alive isn't possible, but not at their convenience! They should have to bear the inconvenience of stealing and murdering him, at their expense! ACLU? And direction is much appreciated. Have discovery, for reference if needed. He brought me sobriety, taught me love, and showed me how to be a good human. I owe him. I refuse to give up, animal law enforcement lacks oversight, and aren't POST certified... They need to be held accountable. Just like all cops

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Colorado, as in many states, animals are indeed considered personal property under the law. The situation you describe, involving the seizure and euthanization of your pet goat, raises several legal issues.

Firstly, if your animal was seized and then euthanized without proper justification or process, this could potentially be a violation of your rights as the owner. Under property law, you are entitled to due process, which includes fair treatment and proper legal procedures before your property is permanently taken or destroyed.

Regarding the charge for cremation, it seems unusual that you are being billed for this, especially if there are ongoing legal proceedings related to the animal. In typical circumstances, your property should be preserved until the conclusion of the case.

Given the complexity of your situation, it's advisable to seek legal representation. An attorney experienced in animal law or civil rights can help you understand your rights and options. They can also assist in holding the responsible parties accountable and potentially seeking compensation for your loss.

You might also consider reaching out to organizations that focus on animal rights or legal advocacy, as they could provide additional support or resources. It's important to act promptly, given the ongoing nature of your case and the actions being taken regarding your pet goat's remains.

Your emotional attachment and the significant role your goat played in your life should also be acknowledged in this process. While legal avenues may not bring him back, they can offer a form of justice and closure.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.