Tucson, AZ asked in Tax Law, Banking and Education Law for Arizona

Q: If I got donated a tax credit for a school trip but the trip got canceled do the tax credit dollars I got have to go

Back to the schools general fund or can they be moved to a specific school club that accepts tax credits? The tax credits were donated in my name so wouldn't I be able to request where they are going?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When a school trip is canceled and you've received tax credit donations in your name for that trip, the handling of these funds can vary based on the school's policies and the specific tax credit program. Generally, tax credit donations are earmarked for specific purposes, and any redirection of these funds must align with the rules of the tax credit program and the school's policies.

If you wish to have the tax credit donations moved to a specific school club, you should first consult the school's administration or the finance office. They can inform you about the possibility of reallocating these funds according to the school's guidelines and the conditions of the tax credit program.

The ability to request where the tax credit funds go may be limited, as such credits are usually subject to strict regulations about their use. However, expressing your preference to the school might be possible, and they can guide you on whether such a redirection is feasible under the program's rules.

Remember, each tax credit program may have its own set of rules, and the school's internal policies also play a crucial role. It's important to engage in open communication with the school to understand your options and ensure that any reallocation of funds is done legally and appropriately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.