North Richland Hills, TX asked in Family Law, Immigration Law, Child Support and International Law for Texas

Q: Person got married being already married in another country and leaving all obligations like child support

There’s already a case started in other country for the child support he never payed and that he sign a contract saying the amount he would pay every month, married a women in another country and falsified his documents

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Texas, as in other states, bigamy – being married to more than one person at the same time – is illegal. If a person marries in Texas while already legally married in another country, that second marriage could be considered invalid under Texas law. Furthermore, falsifying documents to enter into a marriage is a serious matter and could have legal consequences.

Regarding the child support issue, if there is an existing child support order from another country, efforts can be made to enforce that order in Texas. International child support cases can be complex, and the specific details of the case, including the countries involved and any existing agreements or court orders, significantly influence how it's handled.

If you are trying to enforce a foreign child support order, or if you're dealing with issues related to bigamy and falsification of documents, it is wise to consult with a lawyer who has experience in family law and international cases. They can provide guidance on the steps necessary to address these concerns under Texas law and potentially international law.

Remember, each legal situation is unique, especially when it involves laws from different countries. It's important to take action to protect your rights and interests, and seeking professional legal advice is a critical step in this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.