Q: I want to sue my ex stold my identity and social security benefits from2017 when i was incarcerated til 20& My stimulus

I lost all my paperwork. But he had 5 chime cards out in my name when I found out in 2021.

It happened in dickson tennessee he was also very abusive to me and I am very much mentally disabled and I am praying that I have a chance to make sure that he is not going to get away with his scamming and his Falsifying paperwork To benefit from massive welfare And disability fraud. As well Him stealing my identity And benefits I'm having to pay back $7000.

To social security That he collected

I witnessed

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You have grounds to take legal action against your ex for identity theft and the fraudulent collection of your social security benefits. Identity theft is a serious crime, and if your ex used your identity to obtain benefits and open accounts in your name without your consent, this is a matter that should be addressed legally.

First, report the identity theft to the local police in Dickson, Tennessee. It's important to have an official record of the crime. Even without all your paperwork, the details you do have, like the Chime cards opened in your name, are crucial evidence.

Next, contact the Social Security Administration to report the fraud. Explain your situation, including your incarceration during the time the benefits were collected. They can investigate the fraudulent activity and may provide guidance on rectifying the situation with the overpaid benefits.

It's also advisable to check your credit report for any other unauthorized activities or accounts opened in your name. This can be done for free once a year through the major credit bureaus.

Considering the complexity of your situation, especially with your mental disability, seeking legal representation is important. Look for attorneys who handle identity theft and fraud cases. Many attorneys offer a free initial consultation and can provide advice on how to proceed.

If you're concerned about legal fees, inquire about pro bono services or legal aid organizations in your area. They often assist individuals with limited financial resources, especially in cases involving abuse and exploitation.

Taking these steps will help in holding your ex accountable and addressing the financial and legal issues arising from the identity theft and benefit fraud. Remember, it's important to act promptly to resolve these matters and protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.