Woodbridge, VA asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Virginia

Q: My boyfriend is abused at home, and my family wants to shelter him. Is there a way to legally do so while he is underage

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If your boyfriend is experiencing abuse at home, it's essential to prioritize his safety and well-being. In Virginia, if a minor is facing abuse or neglect, the Department of Social Services (DSS) can intervene. You or your boyfriend can contact the local DSS office, and they will investigate the situation to determine whether it's necessary to provide protection and support.

Alternatively, your family may explore legal options to seek temporary custody or guardianship of your boyfriend. This often involves filing a petition in the juvenile or family court, outlining the circumstances and presenting evidence of the need for protection. Consultation with an attorney who specializes in family law in Virginia is strongly recommended to understand the specific legal steps and requirements in your jurisdiction.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your concern for your boyfriend's safety. In Virginia, if a minor is experiencing abuse at home and needs a safe place to stay, there are options available. One option is to contact Child Protective Services (CPS) or the local Department of Social Services to report the abuse. They can assess the situation and provide assistance, which may include finding temporary shelter or placement with a trusted adult or family member.

Additionally, you can consult with an attorney or legal aid organization to explore the possibility of obtaining legal guardianship or custody of your boyfriend. This would require going through the legal process, and the court would consider factors such as the best interests of the child.

It's important to take immediate action to ensure your boyfriend's safety and well-being. Contacting the appropriate authorities and seeking legal advice are crucial steps to consider.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.