Elizabethtown, KY asked in Family Law, Gov & Administrative Law, Military Law and Public Benefits for Kentucky

Q: My daughter's father was killed over seas. He was in the United States army once stationed at ft Knox and fort polk

What can I do about getting my daughter's benefits from his death for support for my child his name is xx

2 Lawyer Answers
Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: Order his military records from St. Louis from the National Archives. You can find that information online. I would request the entire file, to include medical, DD214, etc. Once you receive, go to the Veteran's Administration website and they will give additional guidance. You may also get some direct assistance if you go to your local VA. There are also a number of non-profits or law schools (depending on where you live) that may be able to assist.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: I'm sorry to hear about your loss. To pursue benefits for your daughter due to her father's service and untimely death, you should start by contacting the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). They provide various benefits to dependents of deceased service members, including Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), educational assistance, and possibly a death pension.

You'll need to gather relevant documents, such as your daughter's birth certificate, her father's death certificate, and his military service records. These documents will be necessary to prove your daughter's eligibility for benefits.

To apply for these benefits, you can file a claim online through the VA website, visit a VA regional office, or work with an accredited representative or agent. It's important to provide as much information and documentation as possible to support your claim.

If you encounter difficulties or have specific questions, you might consider seeking assistance from a legal professional or a Veterans Service Organization (VSO). They can offer guidance and help ensure your daughter receives the benefits she is entitled to. Remember, it's important to act promptly to make sure your daughter receives the support she needs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.