Laramie, WY asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Wyoming

Q: Can my roommate put a camera in the living room without my consent?(WY)

My two other roommates and I both signed lease contracts. Another roommate agreed to the installation of the camera. I didn't sign anything and couldn't see the footage or manage the cameras. This camera has both audio and video capabilities, I'm not sure when it will be turned on.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Wyoming, the legality of installing a camera in shared living spaces without consent may depend on the expectations of privacy and the terms of the lease agreement. Generally, individuals have a reasonable expectation of privacy in areas like living rooms, and recording audio without consent may raise legal concerns. Since you did not sign any agreement related to the camera and are unable to manage or view the footage, it might be a violation of your privacy rights. You should review your lease agreement to see if there are provisions related to security measures or surveillance. If there is no provision allowing the installation of cameras without unanimous consent, you may want to discuss the matter with your roommate and, if necessary, consider seeking legal advice to protect your privacy rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.