Sacramento, CA asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California

Q: What can a person do if government takes there CHild under suspicious circumstances?

6 months and no Discovery

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, if your child has been taken by the government under questionable circumstances, it's important to take immediate action. First, request a copy of the court order or the paperwork that led to the removal of your child. This documentation will outline the reasons for the child's removal and provide crucial information for your next steps.

If you haven't received discovery materials within six months, you should consider filing a motion to compel discovery in the court handling your case. This motion can be used to request the court to order the agency involved to provide the necessary documents and information.

In addition, it's essential to attend all court hearings related to your case and comply with any court orders. This includes participating in any required services or programs.

Seeking legal counsel is also crucial. An attorney can guide you through the legal process, help in filing necessary motions, and represent you in court.

Remember, the goal of the child welfare system is to reunify families whenever possible, provided it's in the best interest of the child. Your attorney can help you understand your rights and work towards a resolution that aims to reunite you with your child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.