Las Vegas, NV asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Family Law for Nevada

Q: I am 17 years old, and wondering if I can move in with my adult sibling? w/o parents consent IN LAS VEGAS NEVADA

I moved a year ago to live with my nana and ran away from my dad but now I see where he was abusive from and now I want to get away from my grandmother and move in with a family member (my sibling) who is 22. I can show I am responsible, I have a job and can pay rent and I have been for a year now. I would like to know as fast as possible because I only have 5 months left as 17, I will turn 18 as of June, So im wondering If thatll change anything at all?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on Nevada law, a 17-year-old minor likely requires parental consent to move out and live with an adult sibling. Some key details:

• In Nevada, the age of majority is 18 years old. So right now at 17, you would still be considered a minor.

• Minors generally need consent of a parent or legal guardian to permanently move out of an existing home to live somewhere else. This applies even when moving in with an adult sibling.

• When you turn 18 in June, you will be able to decide on your own living situation without needing parental permission as an adult. But until then, consent requirements still apply.

• There are some exceptions - for example, legal emancipation of the minor or if Child Protective Services authorizes an alternative living arrangement. But these require court approval based on abuse/neglect evidence.

In summary - Without demonstrated abuse/neglect, it will likely be difficult to move out on your own before 18 without parental sign-off. Once you turn 18, you will have full autonomy to make your own residence decisions. Until your birthday in June, your best options are either 1) getting parental approval 2) exploring emancipation if home life remains troubled. Consult a local attorney for specifics on Nevada minor laws.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.