Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Juvenile Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Nevada Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: I am 17 years old, and wondering if I can move in with my adult sibling? w/o parents consent IN LAS VEGAS NEVADA

I moved a year ago to live with my nana and ran away from my dad but now I see where he was abusive from and now I want to get away from my grandmother and move in with a family member (my sibling) who is 22. I can show I am responsible, I have a job and can pay rent and I have been for a year now.... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 16, 2024

Based on Nevada law, a 17-year-old minor likely requires parental consent to move out and live with an adult sibling. Some key details:

• In Nevada, the age of majority is 18 years old. So right now at 17, you would still be considered a minor.

• Minors generally need consent of...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Nevada on
Q: Can a school staff member sign a citation given to a minor after a fight and not inform the parents.

My son had a fight he was detained and issued a citation and I was not informed by the school that they signed a citation in my place or that a citation was even given so the court date was missed due to not informing the parents

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 14, 2023

While NRS 392.150 grants school personnel authority to detain a pupil for certain offenses, including fighting, the requirement for parental notification is not explicitly outlined in this context. Additionally, NRS 392.149 mandates notifying parents of truancy-related citations. Schools generally... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Nevada on
Q: Juvenile son was taken into custody to juvenile detention center but he is 18 years old and he was taken in on a parole
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 12, 2023

In Nevada, when an 18-year-old is taken into custody for a parole violation and has a history of involvement with the juvenile justice system, the legal process can be complex. While 18 is typically considered the age of majority, the juvenile justice system may still have jurisdiction over... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Nevada on
Q: Hi,I have a step son and he has 2 last names. Taylor-O’Neill.Which name would be used as his last name, e.g in school?

We agreed on the hyphenated last name so the mother was happy, but overall we wanted him to have his dads last name(O’Neill). Was it wrong how we hyphenated it. Is the first last name what places,business, etc go by? Thank you.

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
answered on Feb 28, 2022

if the legal name is hyphenated, the entire hyphenated name should be used as his last name.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Nevada on
Q: If my daughter lives with my mom but I still have full custody of her, who is legally responsible for her?

My husband, my daughter and I were living with my mom. My adult son also lives there. My mom kicked me and my husband out but my daughter stayed because we have no place and are now homeless. My mother is not taking my kid to school or making her do her work. We told my mom when she kicked us out... View More

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
answered on Oct 3, 2021

Unless there is a court order giving your parents either guardianship or custody of the children, both parents are still legally responsible for the children.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Juvenile Law and Social Security for Nevada on
Q: Can a parent with no parental rights refuse to give you your SSN and birth certificate?

I live in California

Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 17, 2020

Even if they refuse you can go to a local SS Office or order a birth certificate online or visit your local City Hall in the town you were born in.

Hope this helps.


Attorney Scott F. Bocchio

Legal Rights Advocates

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Nevada on
Q: What will happen in this situation to my exboyfriend?

So i went to a teacher for advice and i told him about how my exboyfriend threaten me with pictures but me and my exboyfriend were good again but the teacher got the school involved i have not made any reports against my exboyfriend though and i dont want the school to do anything against him or... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Aug 17, 2019

Please also ask the teacher about not writing in a single run on sentence

Lawyers want to answer inquiries accurately.

We cannot be dure if it is not parsed into single sentences starting with capital letters and ending eith punctuation marks

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.