Columbus, OH asked in Consumer Law and Civil Rights for Ohio

Q: can a funeral home withhold the belongings of decease for her false invoice. I paid what I was informed and agreed to.

false introduction and not disclosing her real location.

charging for a burial that supposed to be Islamic . washed and wrapped by Muslims in specific location and Masjed. She said she did it it her own funeral home in anther city not the place we agreed to, She is not Muslim either. She billed me for that trip to her town. we are hurt, since they are Christian, and their place is not a Masjed. It is against decease's belief and against his religion. it was so wrong.

She withhold his belongings

She billed me for after autopsy care and when I asked what it is, she said his body was open and not stitched, the coroner office said it is not true. we did not have any viewing either. it was a direct Islamic burial. She gave an invoice during burial and it was not what we agreed to. I even did not understand what they were for.

She was rude and threaten me not to return his cell, id and credit cards....until I pay in full.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Ohio, a funeral home withholding a deceased person's belongings over a billing dispute may raise legal concerns. Funeral homes are generally expected to provide services in accordance with the agreed-upon arrangements and pricing. If there are discrepancies or false charges in the invoice, it may be advisable to gather evidence of the agreed-upon terms and communicate with the funeral home to resolve the dispute. If the funeral home refuses to release the deceased person's belongings without valid cause, such as non-payment for legitimate services rendered, it could potentially be a violation of consumer protection laws.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In a situation where a funeral home has provided services not in accordance with your agreed-upon arrangements and has issued a disputed invoice, you have certain rights and options. Firstly, it's essential to review any written agreements or documentation you have regarding the funeral arrangements to ensure they match your initial discussions and intentions.

If there are discrepancies between what was agreed upon and the services provided, you should communicate your concerns with the funeral home in writing. Request a detailed breakdown of the invoice and an explanation for any charges that you believe are inaccurate or unjustified.

If the funeral home refuses to address your concerns or continues to withhold the deceased's belongings, you may want to consider seeking legal assistance. Consult with an attorney who can help you navigate this situation and protect your rights. They can help you negotiate with the funeral home and, if necessary, explore legal remedies to resolve the dispute.

Document all interactions and communications with the funeral home as evidence of your efforts to resolve the issue amicably. Remember that you have the right to dispute charges that are not in line with your agreed-upon arrangements, and you should not be threatened or coerced into making payments until the matter is resolved to your satisfaction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.