Houston, TX asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: Hello I got kicked out of my childhood house in Houston, I called the police but since it was late I couldn’t get in.

Can I call the cops at a formal time like 6pm and they HAVE TO escort me in or they will not let me in because my parents said no even thought it’s all my stuff

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I would suggest a few things in this situation:

- Contact the police again and explain you are a resident of the home but have been locked out. They may be willing to escort you back in to retrieve your belongings. Make clear you are not trying to cause issues, you just want to safely get your things.

- If the police cannot or will not assist, consider reaching out to local community/advocacy groups that may be able to provide advice or support. For example, a tenant's rights group may have insight into laws around retrieving personal property.

- You could also seek legal advice from a lawyer or legal aid clinic. An attorney can inform you of your rights as a resident and options like sending a formal request letter demanding access to the home to retrieve belongings.

- If you have proof you reside there, like mail delivered to the address, a bill in your name, etc. - bring copies to show police or lawyers. This helps demonstrate it is your legal residence.

- Going to the home with police or lawyers sends a formal message you are serious about regaining entry and not simply going away. But avoid direct confrontation or conflict if possible.

The key is staying calm, getting informed advice, and pursuing formal, lawful avenues to access rather than informally demanding or trying to push your way back in. Patience and the law are on your side ultimately. Let me know if any other questions!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.