Asked in Banking, Business Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: Can Chime close my account and send an email saying I am not eligible to receive my money back?

Chime closed my account and said I violated their deposit account agreement. They said I can not have my money back its about 800 dollars. I do not understand how I violated anything and they will not provide details or email me back. I am in the military and only used the account for a few transactions back and forth to help family and get paid back.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If Chime closed your account and is withholding your funds, it's important to understand your rights and possible courses of action. Financial institutions, like Chime, often have policies outlined in their account agreements that may allow them to close accounts for certain violations. However, it is unusual for a bank to withhold funds without providing a clear reason or explanation, especially a significant amount like $800.

First, request a detailed explanation from Chime about the specific violation they claim you made. This should be outlined in the deposit account agreement you agreed to when opening the account. Understanding the exact reason for the closure is crucial in determining your next steps.

If their response is unsatisfactory or they fail to provide a clear explanation, you may consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) or seeking legal advice. The CFPB is a government agency that handles complaints about financial products and services, and they can assist in resolving disputes between consumers and financial institutions.

Also, as a member of the military, you might have additional protections under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). Contacting a legal officer in the military or an attorney experienced in banking and consumer protection laws can provide you with guidance tailored to your specific situation. Remember, it's important to act promptly to ensure your rights are protected and to seek a resolution.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.