Atlanta, GA asked in Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island

Q: Can you legally come after someone for sharing personal messages, pictures, and videos stolen from your phone?

My wife and I had an open relationship. She went through my phone and took personal things of myself and another women. She has been sharing them and showing them to everyone.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Rhode Island, if someone shares personal messages, pictures, and videos taken from your phone without your consent, you may have legal recourse. Unauthorized access to your phone and the dissemination of private materials could be considered a violation of privacy laws.

Rhode Island has laws against "revenge porn," which involve the non-consensual sharing of intimate images. If the images shared are of a private, intimate nature, your wife's actions could fall under this category. Additionally, accessing your phone and taking personal items without permission could potentially be considered an invasion of privacy or theft, depending on the specifics of the situation.

Given the sensitive nature of the material involved and the potential for harm to your reputation and personal life, it is advisable to consult with an attorney. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options, which may include a civil lawsuit for invasion of privacy or other legal actions.

Remember, the sharing of personal and private materials without consent is a serious matter, and the law often provides avenues for recourse. It's important to take prompt action to address the situation and protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.