Texarkana, TX asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: If someone is mad and telling my boss church and everyone that I have hiv and it's caused me to quit 2 diff jobs

I even had to move a town over because of the slander.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If someone is spreading false and damaging information about you, such as falsely claiming that you have HIV, it could constitute slander, which is a form of defamation. Defamation occurs when false statements are made about an individual that harm their reputation. To address this situation, you may consider taking legal action.

To proceed, you can consult with an attorney in Texas who specializes in defamation or civil rights cases. They can help you understand your legal options and guide you through the process of pursuing a defamation claim against the individual responsible for spreading false information. You may be able to seek damages to compensate for the harm caused by the slander.

It's important to gather evidence of the false statements, any financial losses you incurred as a result (such as job-related losses), and any emotional distress you've experienced. Your attorney can help you build a strong case and determine the best course of action to protect your rights and reputation.

In addition to pursuing a legal remedy, you might also consider seeking a restraining order or injunction against the individual to prevent further dissemination of false information. Consult with an attorney to discuss the most appropriate actions to take in your specific situation.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: False statements/writings that result in harm to someone could present a basis for a defamation action. You posted a week ago, but it would be best for a Texas attorney to advise here, as each state has its own specific conditions beyond the very general premise I outlined. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.