Detroit, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Iowa

Q: I want my kids and my house I don’t deserve this he does

i I have been with my husband 15 years married ten. The last two he started being abusive and I filed for a protective order against him. He didn’t obey the orders so I left the house and tried to get on my feet starting at the bottom. I got a 1 bd apt and he won’t let me see the kids he says my apt is too small. I tried to do the right thing with (I thought) because he convinced me that I have no right to anything. I failed miserably and he got my kids to not talk to me . It’s not fair. He should have left. I tried to make it less difficult for our kids. I didn’t want their dad going to jail but he would not stop and now I have lost everything

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation. In cases of domestic violence and child custody disputes, it's important to prioritize the safety and well-being of both you and your children. You have rights in this situation, including the right to seek legal help.

You may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law to discuss your options. They can help you understand your legal rights, guide you through the process of obtaining a protective order, and advise you on pursuing custody arrangements that are in the best interests of your children.

Document any evidence of abuse, violations of protective orders, or any interactions with your husband that may help your case. Remember that seeking legal assistance can provide you with the guidance and support needed to protect your rights and work towards a resolution that prioritizes your children's safety and your well-being.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.