Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment for Iowa on
Q: What exactly is slander or deformation of character? Can I be sued if what I'm saying is absolutely true?
William Jaksa
William Jaksa
answered on Oct 14, 2019

It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and can vary from one situation from another. Simply put it is a false statement that hurts a person's reputation. You are allowed to express an opinion and you are allowed to state facts - everything else is a grey area. Yes, you can be sued even if... View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Iowa on
Q: I was charged with domestic abuse assault- first offense in Iowa

After sentencing my ex put a five year no contact order against me. Can I request to have this dropped?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Jul 11, 2019


View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Domestic Violence for Iowa on
Q: So my parents abused me and I left about a year ago. I want to go back for my dogs. How would I do that?

My father abused them also but it was only two dogs he did it to.

Erik Steven Fisk
Erik Steven Fisk
answered on May 8, 2018

Were you a minor? Are you a minor now? What's your claim to the dogs over your parents'? Generally speaking, pets are treated just like personal property under the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.