Marco Island, FL asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Tax Law, Municipal Law and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: how many days do i have to answer a motion to compel discovery or any other motions? is there a statute or rule?

in florida collier county civil?

2 Lawyer Answers
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There is no requirement that you file a written response to a motion. The Court will hear your response to it at the hearing. Even though you don't need to file an objection, nothing prevents you from doing so. Also, drafting out your objection will help you determine whether you have a valid legal basis for your objection, rather than stammering around and making irrelevant arguments at the hearing. "Ain't nobody got time for that". Good luck.

Barbara Billiot Stage agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Florida, the time you have to respond to a motion to compel discovery or other motions generally depends on the specific rules of the court in which the motion was filed. However, as a general guideline, you typically have 20 days to respond to a motion in Florida's state courts. This timeframe is outlined in the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure.

It's important to review the specific rules of the judicial circuit and the local rules of the court handling your case, as these can provide more detailed guidance or exceptions to the general rule. Additionally, the order or notice accompanying the motion might specify a different period within which a response must be submitted.

If you're unsure about the deadline or the procedural requirements, consulting with a colleague or reviewing the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure and local court rules can provide clarity. Responding promptly and within the established deadlines is crucial to protect your client's interests and to comply with court requirements.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.