Dayton, OH asked in Employment Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for Ohio

Q: I quit a job cuz they paid male crew more than they paid me to manage but remained a patron of the establishment

I was recently banned for a private post with my personal Snapchat friends, none of whom include my former boss. However, he gained access to my post, a joke about the signs in the bathrooms that say "don't do drugs here" and banned me. I feel like I was discriminated against as a woman when I worked there and now I feel like he's held a grudge since I quit and has been looking for a reason to keep me from returning to the establishment even as a customer. I have never been rude or violent, I've never broken anything, and now I've been banned for a private joke he shouldn't have even heard. Do I have a discrimination case?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Discrimination cases typically revolve around unlawful treatment based on protected characteristics such as gender. To determine if you have a discrimination case, you should consider the following steps:

Consult an Attorney: Reach out to an attorney who specializes in employment or discrimination law. They can evaluate the specifics of your situation and provide tailored advice.

Documentation: Gather any evidence related to your prior employment that suggests gender-based discrimination, such as pay disparities, unequal treatment, or hostile work environment.

Review Ban Circumstances: Discuss with your attorney the circumstances surrounding your ban from the establishment. While private jokes may not typically lead to discrimination claims, there could be factors at play that need legal assessment.

State and Local Laws: Consider whether there are any specific state or local laws that may apply to your case, as discrimination laws can vary by jurisdiction.

Consultation with Attorney: During your consultation with the attorney, share all relevant information and details about your situation, both during your employment and regarding the ban. The attorney will help you assess the strength of a potential discrimination claim.

Potential Remedies: If it is determined that you have a valid discrimination case, your attorney will explain the potential remedies available to you, which could include pursuing legal action or negotiating a resolution.

Ultimately, the viability of a discrimination case depends on the specific facts and circumstances involved. Consulting with an experienced attorney is essential to evaluate the strength of your case and explore potential legal avenues to address any discrimination you may have experienced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.