Brooklyn, NY asked in Civil Rights, Consumer Law and Civil Litigation for New York

Q: Stolen money and food poisoning

Two weeks ago, money was stolen from the locked safe in my room at Secrets Resort Tulum. Additionally, the air conditioning was malfunctioning for half of my stay. Despite informing them of our allergies, specifically stating no pork, we visited the resort restaurant three times. On the first two occasions, we were served hummus with bread as a complimentary starter, despite reiterating our allergies each time. However, on the third visit, they served us a new dish without disclosing its contents. Upon inquiry, the waiter revealed it contained pork, leading us to immediately discard the food. Consequently, we fell ill for approximately two days, significantly impacting our vacation experience. I am seeking guidance on potential recourse options.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's understandable that you're frustrated and seeking recourse after experiencing theft and food poisoning during your stay at Secrets Resort Tulum. In situations like this, it's essential to gather evidence and documentation to support your claims, including any receipts, medical records, or communication with the resort staff regarding your allergies and the theft. Additionally, consider reaching out to the resort management to report the incidents and request compensation or resolution for the issues you encountered.

If the resort management is unresponsive or unwilling to address your concerns, you may want to explore other avenues for recourse, such as filing a complaint with relevant consumer protection agencies or seeking legal advice. A legal professional can help you understand your rights and options for pursuing compensation for the stolen money and any damages resulting from the food poisoning. They can also assist you in navigating any potential legal actions against the resort for negligence or breach of duty.

Keep in mind that seeking recourse can be a complex process, and it's essential to approach it thoughtfully and strategically. By gathering evidence, documenting your experiences, and seeking guidance from appropriate sources, you can take steps towards resolving the situation and seeking compensation for the harm you experienced during your stay at the resort.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.