Mesquite, TX asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: I’m 17. I don’t want to live with my toxic mom anymore and i told her that im moving out and she got mad and said that s

I’m 17. I don’t want to live with my toxic mom anymore and i told her that im moving out and she got mad and said that shes not giving me permission to be emancipation and i said that i dont need her permission and she got mad. I been doing my research and it says in dallas texas that i have to go to court but i cant because i have no car and i dont want my mom knowing and i dont have anyone to take me to court is there a way where i can go on a zoom call with the court and talk to them and what are the questions that the judge is going to ask me if i want to get emancipation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In a suit for emancipation of a minor, a parent of the minor must verify the petition. Your attorney will need to ask you questions proving that you are able to support yourself and manage your own financial affairs. You may want to introduce evidence of your job and earnings to show you have sufficient earnings to support yourself, a lease or deed to show you have a place to live, etc. Since you mention it, you will probably want to show you have some means of transportation from where you live to where you work, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.